Re: [gNewSense-users] gNewSense based on Feisty

From: Brian Brazil
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] gNewSense based on Feisty
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2007 09:07:09 +0100

On 4/8/07, Alejandro Serrano <address@hidden> wrote:
Yes, I think we should really start coding. I think we should
concentrate in those tasks. Maybe one person or group of people could
make one of them:
1. Integrate the new code into the Subversion repository. In my opinion,
we should start a new branch apart from the dapper one, because mixing
both versions could end up in a real mess.

That won't work if you want to use our infrastructure. You'll have to
mix them, that is add support to Builder to handle more than one
release. You'll also need to setup a hermatic build (which would
probably be a good first step) via chroot before anything can be built
on our Dapper build box.

2. Finish artwork: that task would hav two 'subtasks':
a) modifying the usplash images for different resolutions. It would be
great if the person who did the original usplash image could resize them
in the required dimensions;

Everything is available as svg in svn.

b) modifying the new artwork package so they use those images (this work
is partially done). The point is that artwork has been repackaged in
several packages, so we need to check that everything works OK.
3. Modify the gen-firefox script to work with Firefox 2.0.
4. Modify the gen-kernel script to work with the Linux kernel shipped
with Feisty.
5. Modify the gnome-panel to remove the Ubuntu help submenu.
6. Modify the KDE-related packages.
7. Check that gen-update-manager works OK, and if it doesn't, repair it.
8. Check the new dependencies of ubuntu-standard and ubuntu-desktop so
they don't include requisites such as 'hwdb' (Hardware Database) or
'restricted-manager'.
9. Investigate the new way codecs can be installed we needed: at first
I've seen that it only work with free codecs, but we should check it
doesn't come to non-free ones.

About having Firefox or IceWeasel, I think we should keep having our
'BurningDog' modified version of Firefox (although the final word must
come from the gNewSense mantainers), and optionally provide IceWeasel.

Depends on what's in the upstream repos, but sticking with BurningDog
will probably be easiest.

I would like to ask the gNewSense mantainers, Paul and Brian, if they
don't mind if we start this new project and if we could use both the
Subversion repository and the wiki. I think that if we work hard, we can
do it in little time, and have a working gNewSense-from-Feisty.

The wiki is there to be used. All changes to SVN must go through me.

I would suggest trying to keep the packages changed as small as
possible in the early stages. A booting, installing Fiesty should be
the first step. A clean kernel the second, artwork the third etc.
Worrying about a link to ubuntu in a help menu falls way down the
list.

More generally, what are your plans for supporting this? It would seem
that delatf will only exist for 6 months before there's a cry for
deltah. We also only have so much diskspace.

Brian