Re: [gNewSense-users] Re: Hardware Compatibility

From: Brian Brazil
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Re: Hardware Compatibility
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 20:02:13 +0100

On 3/31/07, Christopher Parker <address@hidden> wrote:
On 3/30/07, Christopher Parker <address@hidden> wrote:
> I've recently installed gNewSense 1.1 on my Gateway Solo 5300 laptop

I had some time to update from my fresh gNewSense 1.1 install. After
the update, my soundcard stopped working. The soundcard is ESS ES1980
Maestro-3, which is referenced at
http://support.gateway.com/support/manlib/Notebooks/Solo5300/8508144/8508144.htm
under the "Audio" heading.

Is anybody aware of any updates that would've broken the functionality
of my soundcard? Better yet, is there a straightforward way to
diagnose and fix the problem?

It was discovered just over two weeks ago that the ESS Maestro 3
drivers require non-free firemware, and they were removed. Hence, it
will not work on any up-to-date gNewSense system.

Brian