Re: [gNewSense-users] Email address for Linus Torvalds?

From: Kevin M. Dean
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Email address for Linus Torvalds?
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2007 02:49:47 -0400

No.

I tend not to discuss "Open Source" because it means something to the
world and that ideology is not what it means to me.

However, to Bruce Perens, who DEFINED open source, Freedom is critical.
Open Source was not a way for him to distance himself from the ethical
issues, it was a way to show business people that Freedom is crucial
using terms that mattered to them.

It was Eric Raymond who has over the years pushed to break off the
ethical aspects, and sadly, his goals seemed to have a bigger impact,
because it's his "Open Source" that people think about now.

I seriously thing that trying to define things by what the author
intended to is stupid, which is the point I made. Whatever Linus says,
the kernel Linux is Free. Nothing he says changes that. He could go work
for Microsoft tomorrow, hacking at their kernel and releasing his future
code under the EULA, but Linux today is Free, and will be Free tomorrow.

The terms means something different, it's just pointless to identify
what the author considers it.

- -Kevin