Re: [gNewSense-users] Problem playing FLAC files in Amarok

From: Matthew Flaschen
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Problem playing FLAC files in Amarok
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 21:10:46 -0400

Guy Johnston wrote:
> On 18/03/07, Josh Martens <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> Yes, I don't think that xine is available in gNewSense, I think it should
>> be added, but maybe Amarok should be removed?
>>
>> On Sun, Mar 18, 2007 at 08:43:48PM +0000, Guy Johnston wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I can't play FLAC files with Amarok in gNewSense 1.1. There's an error
>> > which reads "There is no audio channel!". I can play them in Totem and
>> > VLC, and I could play them in Amarok in Kubuntu 6.06 and 6.10. Does
>> > anyone know what might be the cause of this problem? The default engine
>> > for Amarok is xine, and I expect it's a problem with that.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > Guy
>> >
>> > --
>> > Please avoid sending me Microsoft Office files - see
>> > http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html.
>> > Don't get Windows Vista, get GNU/Linux - see
>> http://www.getgnulinux.org.

> The xine engine is available in gNewSense, because it's in the repositories
> and I've installed and used it. I can play other free formats such as Ogg
> Vorbis and Speex in Amarok using it. The xine GUI application is also in
> the
> repositories, but I haven't installed it. I think the problem might be that
> FLAC support in xine is supplied by some kind of 'xine extra codecs'
> package, which I seem to remember exists in Ubuntu, which seems to have
> been
> removed because it also contains patent-encumbered codecs. Does anyone know
> if that's the case?

libxine-extracodecs is in Ubuntu multiverse, and multiverse is
completely dropped in gNewSense.  The list of files in
libxine-extracodecs is at
http://packages.ubuntu.com/cgi-bin/search_contents.pl?searchmode=filelist&word=libxine-extracodecs&version=dapper&arch=i386
.  I can't tell whether any of that includes FLAC codecs.  However, FLAC
claims "Neither the FLAC nor Ogg FLAC formats nor any of the implemented
encoding/decoding methods are covered by any known patent." so the codec
should be in universe.  Also, the decoder is under a BSD license, which
is not an issue.

Matthew Flaschen