Re: [gNewSense-users] Converting MP3 files to a free format

From: Andreas K. Foerster
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Converting MP3 files to a free format
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 08:54:42 +0100

Am Dienstag, dem 13. Mär 2007 schrieb Michael Stevens:

> I don't know about the conversion process, but I quite like ogg vorbis
> as a free format. Lossy, but smaller than FLAC. Some people are
> negative on the sound quality but it's fine for me.

Ogg Vorbis normally has a much better quality than MP3, that is true.

But only, when you encode from the original. When it is encoded in MP3,
the quality is already decreased, and never comes back. When you encode
it with Ogg Vorbis, it decreases even further.

see http://vorbis.com/faq/#transcode

--
AKFoerster