Re: [gNewSense-users] Converting MP3 files to a free format

From: Andreas K. Foerster
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Converting MP3 files to a free format
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 21:53:50 +0100

Am Dienstag, dem 13. Mär 2007 schrieb Guy Johnston:

> Does anyone know of a good programme to convert MP3s to a free format,
> and which would be the best format to use? I'd have thought FLAC would
> be the best, as it wouldn't decrease the quality, and it wouldn't
> increase the size as much as converting to an uncompressed format such
> as WAV. Obviously this would require having the MP3 decoder installed,
> so I'd probably do it on an Ubuntu installation, or temporarily install
> it on gNewSense from the Ubuntu Multiverse repository (if this is
> possible, does anyone know?).

Converting from one format to another one almost always means decoding and
then encoding to another one. So you need the decoder in any case.

So with "mpg321" you can decode it to "wav", and then encode it with the
tool "flac" is a good idea.

Don't use another lossy format like Vorbis - you would lose too much.

--
AKFoerster