Re: [gNewSense-users] Linksys WUSB54G

From: Guy Johnston
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Linksys WUSB54G
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 21:28:32 +0000

Josh Martens wrote:
> Okay, saw that some people here have been having issues with this USB
> wireless adapter.
>
> I was having some problems with it, with my core duo laptop, it was
> hardlocking my laptop, once I installed the 686 kernel though everything has
> been working perfectly.
>
> Give that a try and see if it works for you, I posted about this on the
> forums also.

I was having problems with that driver before, but I've now got it
working properly out of the box with gNewSense 1.1. I'm using it in
Managed mode, with WPA (TKIP encryption), using DHCP to get the IP
straight awayaddress. Unfortunately I can't get it working using any
graphical programmes, but I've made a shell script which I just have to
run. It connects properly more or less every time I run it. It
occasionally disconnects after a while, so I have to run it again, but
not very often. Here it is:

sudo iwpriv rausb0 enc 3
sleep 1
sudo iwpriv rausb0 auth 3
sudo iwconfig rausb0 essid "*** ****** ***** ** ***"
sudo iwpriv rausb0 wpapsk **************
sudo iwconfig rausb0 essid "*** ****** ***** ** ***"
sleep 1
sudo ifconfig rausb0 up
sleep 1
sudo iwpriv rausb0 enc 3
sleep 1
sudo iwpriv rausb0 auth 3
sudo iwconfig rausb0 essid "*** ****** ***** ** ***"
sudo dhclient rausb0

I got this by looking at various scripts people had on the driver forums
at
http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=4&sid=72fb6a5fdfa63cb6bc9b58be29193fcc
 , in the various topics about WPA.

You need to replace the stars with your ESSID and WPA key as
appropriate. It seems that you don't need the quotation marks for the
WPA key, but you do for the ESSID if it has spaces in. The 'sleep 1'
lines just create 1 second pauses. It works without them, but using them
seems to make it less likely to disconnect later. In some of the scripts
I looked at, the 3rd pause was 10 seconds long ('sleep 10'), so that
might be helpful as well.

I've got version 4 of the card, which is the only one specifically
recommended by the FSF, because it uses the RT2500 chipset (which runs
using the RT2570 driver with USB cards). I don't know which chipset any
of the other versions use, and whether or not they run on gNewSense
using only free (as in freedom) software.

Guy

--
Please avoid sending me Microsoft Office files - see
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html.