Re: [gNewSense-users] Small case 'g'

From: Paul O'Malley
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Small case 'g'
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2007 08:25:45 +0000

Guy Johnston wrote:
> Hi, this isn't very important, but I was wondering why a small case 'g'
> was chosen for the start of the name. I think a capital 'G' looks more
> appropriate, especially when the name is used in a sentence, and because
> the letter comes from 'GNU' which is all capitals.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Guy

as part of a well worn path and a particular pun

gnu is when seen from one perspective

(g)nu

then in some places it was thought to be very clever if you replaced

nu with New

the use of

gNew was to emphasise this pun

therefore it leads to the correct pronouncing when you know the pun of

gnu sense

:-)

Note for Irish readers:
IFSO agm is on today!