Re: [gNewSense-users] Small case 'g'

From: Danijel Orsolic
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Small case 'g'
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2007 22:00:35 +0000

> On Friday 02 March 2007 17:48, Guy Johnston wrote:
> > Hi, this isn't very important, but I was wondering why a small case 'g'
> > was chosen for the start of the name. I think a capital 'G' looks more
> > appropriate, especially when the name is used in a sentence, and because
> > the letter comes from 'GNU' which is all capitals.

That's what I thought as well. It's a bit of a dilemma when you start a
sentence with its name. Do I go with GNewSense or gNewSense then. If I go with
former then it breaks the official name and if I go with latter it breaks
grammar.

On Fri, 2 Mar 2007 21:00:11 +0000
Andrew Wigglesworth <address@hidden> wrote:
> It certainly gets gNoticed and remembered in the general tech gNews.
>
> Actually, deconstruct any well known "brand name" and they're nearly all
> pretty daft, it's just that we get used to them.

I tend to agree. It's all about marketing. With good marketing, the ugliest
name in the world can become attractive, not that gNewSense is the ugliest name
in the world. ;)

Cheers
Danijel