Re: [gNewSense-users] Mplayer-plugin

From: Matthew Flaschen
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Mplayer-plugin
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 18:25:21 -0500

Brian Brazil wrote:
> On 2/23/07, Kevin Dean <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Up until very recently, MPLayer was rather lax about licensing. They
>> included code that was restricted by patents.
>>
>> As of Oct. 2006, they have done a review of their code and cleaned
>> some of this up. They have removed DeCSS code (illegal in some areas)
>> and linked against a different library.
>>
>> Because of this cleanup, mplayer might actually make it into Debian,
>> which will mean it will eventually work it's way into Ubuntu. However,
>> it's a recent development, and a lot of people may still have
>> reservations about using it.
>
> http://packages.debian.org/unstable/graphics/mplayer
>
> It has been there since October, but it's not in Etch.
>
>> GIven gNS's reluctance to include iffy media formats, it might not
>> ever make it into gNS.
>
> I wasn't aware of any media formats that we have explicitly removed.
>
> Brian

I'm confused on this.  I've heard some people say gnewsense is supposed
to reject all patented formats (even when there's a freely licensed
implementation), but there's definitely still patent-infringing code.  I
think perhaps people just noticed the removal of multiverse and thought
that was largely due to patent issues.

Matthew Flaschen