Re: [gNewSense-users] Fluxbox in gnewsense?

From: Lutz Horn
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Fluxbox in gnewsense?
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 11:49:06 +0100

Hi,

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 20:52:52 -0700, "Ringo Kamens"
<address@hidden> said:
> I am thinking about trying out other window systems aside from gnome.

That's a good idea. Be prepared that not all applications are
integrated as good with an alternative window manager than they are
with Gnome or KDE. For example, you won't find the automatic update
notifier with Fluxbox.

> What did you find? Is it faster?

Almost every window manager is faster than Gnome or KDE which are not
only window managers but desktop environments integrating many features.
The best thing with using only a small and fast window manager is that
you can customize it as you wish. I can especially recommend IceWM (
http://www.icewm.org/) which can be used exclusively with the keyboard.

Just give Fluxbox or any other window manager a try, you can
alway go back.

Regards

Lutz
--