Re: [gNewSense-users] background for BurningDog

From: Matthew Flaschen
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] background for BurningDog
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 10:07:45 -0500

Andrew Wigglesworth wrote:
>> Correct me if i'm wrong - are you skinning google, or is there something
>> else going on?
>> kk
>
> Skinning Google seems to be just it; a pointless process for gNewSense as far
> as I can see.

Of course it's a Google search.  That's why it says "Google Search".

> Mozilla Corp. made a deal with Google which has ended up with millions being
> handed over to said Mozilla Corp via the specially created Google Firefox
> search page and the default Google search in the Firefox search bar.

I'm aware of that.  But as it happens I like both Firefox and Google
search, so I used the start page.  Now, I'll be using this one instead.

> Google is not the only search engine in the world (I don't even use it these
> days). It's a commercial operation with no links to gNewSense.

I know that, but it's the one I use most often.

> At the moment the default search in the Burning Dog search bar is Google
> anyway.  Why does Google need to be promoted any more than this?

I'm not trying to make this official.  If you don't want to use the
page, don't.

  If you
> really want Google as your default page when Burning Dog opens, then set it
> yourself. Simple as that  :-)

I did.  I just thought it might be more interesting with a gnewsense logo.

> Having said that, I think that putting in the default page that Karl suggests
> is a very good idea.

That's fine, but really a separate issue.

Matthew Flaschen