[gNewSense-users] scary gNewSense behavior: missing /home

From: andrei raevsky
Subject: [gNewSense-users] scary gNewSense behavior: missing /home
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 09:04:32 -0500

Hi,

Somthing really weird just happened to me.  I turned on my computer
and after a completely normal boot up I got into the GUI longon menu
where I entered my name and password.  I then got a message telling me
that my home directory is registered as /home/andrei (which is
correct) and that it was missing?!?!?!  I was given to choice to boot
failsafe or to sign on as root.

I immediately did a ctrl+alt+F2 and logged on a root.  No prob.  I
switched into /home and indeed it was empty.  14GB of data were
missing!

I then decided to re-boot the machine and to carefully look at the
bootup process (which I had not done the first time).

This time nothing abnormal happened, I logged on as 'andrei' and got
into my usual GNOME desktop.  Eveything was back to normal.

Now I have only one hard disk, a MAXTOR 4K080H4 of 75GB with three partitions:

hda1 on / (10 GB with 6GB free) with ReiserFS
hda2 swap (252MB)
hda3 on /home (65GB with 50GB free) with ReiserFS

Since the computer booted up this was not a hardware disk-crash.
Somehow my /home partition did not get mounted during the bootup
process.

I never had that happen on any GNU/Linux system I have ever used,
which includes pretty much all the major distros, a couple of minor
ones, and several years of intense Mandrake and Debian use.

Does anyone have any idea what happened to my machine and how I can
prevent that from happening again (-: other than never turnig off my
computer that is :-)

Thanks,

Andrei