[gNewSense-users] Filesystem type

From: Matthew Flaschen
Subject: [gNewSense-users] Filesystem type
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 07:23:25 -0500

Hello all,

I'm glad to say I just installed gNewSense-Kde for the first time,
moving from Kubuntu Edgy.  It works on my system just as well as Dapper
did. The only thing I'm missing a bit is some of KDE 3.5.5, and
Firefox/BurningDog 2; I can wait though.

The installation went well, and I was able to transfer all my user data
and most settings.  However, I took me forever to repartition my drive
properly without losing data.  One of the main problems is that I
wrongly assumed parted had full support for ext3 and ext2.  I found out
the ext3 support is bad, though ext2 is mostly complete.  Thus, both my
filesystems (/ and /home) are now ext2.

I could convert them now to ext3.  I was wondering whether there are
tangible advantages to ext3 for a typical desktop user.

Thanks for any help,

Matthew Flaschen