Re: [gNewSense-users] kind of off-topic, but not completely: ripping DV

From: Dean Linkous
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] kind of off-topic, but not completely: ripping DVDs with gNewSense?
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 06:18:59 -0500

On 02/11/2007 11:17:47 PM, andrei raevsky wrote:
Hi,

I am looking for a way to rip commercial DVDs with a gNewSense application. Right now, I use VLC to watch DVDs (I have all the libraries needed to watch commercial/encrypted DVDs) and dvdbackup to back them up, but I would like to find a way to take a commercial DVD and make it into an mpeg or avi file.

Thoggen (already suggested) is what I use to create something I keep on the computer to watch.

As far as DVD....that is a mess....That is all I can say or else the men-in-black will arrive at my door. I do make copies of my DVDs for fair-use only and I only backup the main feature. I have a couple little (bad) scripts and use those along with some manual futzing it does just fine. As far as I know, all the tools I use are free software. If they are not free then just ignore me and dont tell me please. :) Look into the following packages/tools:
mjpegtools
subtitleripper
transcode
(not sure if these are available in gNewSense or not)

hope this helps a little...