Re: [gNewSense-users] Re: Freedom and webapps

From: Dean Linkous
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Re: Freedom and webapps
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 12:10:36 -0500

On Mon, 5 Feb 2007 15:11:55 +0000
"Dave Crossland" <address@hidden> wrote:

> I am proposing that this is a practical problem, not an ethical one.
> Please explain the ethical dimension of this.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Dave

I think I would have to consider 'control' to be a ethical issue especially
considering what it can lead to. sony rootkit anyone....

Great discussion btw! Made me rethink my usage a bit. I went down to my ISP and
demanded they switch to free software since I am technically a "user" but I do
not think I had much impact. I guess I will have to do without internet now. :(

Also, my internet traffic is routed across numerous switches/routers/machines
and I am sure those are probably non-free so not sure where to draw the line in
that regard. Should I not eat at mcDonalds until they remove the non-free
software from the building?

Webmail is(was) a borderline issue with me but after thinking it over and over
and over I have come to the realization that I am promoting it and may be
contributing to the next "google" or "microsoft" so I think it is wrong to do
so. I will be changing, thanks for the yummy thought process...

Dean