Re: [gNewSense-users] [Off Topic] Will you be getting Microsoft Vista?

From: Guy Johnston
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] [Off Topic] Will you be getting Microsoft Vista?
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2007 13:03:01 +0000

Max Moritz Sievers wrote:
> Michael Fötsch wrote:
>> MJ Ray <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> You might also like to remind them that you dislike the BBC's Windows
>>> encouragements like WMP, Real and its iMP.  Support Ogg Theora!
>> On a similar note, I recently wrote to MIT OpenCourseWare about the same
>> issue. In their response, they cited a survey that was conducted among
>> MIT OCW users, which is available here:
>> http://web.mit.edu/ocwcom/MITOCW/About/05_Eval_Full_060806_MITOCW.pdf
>
> This document was written in MS Word, produced with Acrobat Distiller for
> Macintosh and created with cgpdftops CUPS filter.
>
>> Maybe some of you are interested in this, as it shows which formats are most
>> popular these days (sadly, it's not Ogg Theora). They surveyed 500
>> people and these were their preferred formats (PDF page 53):
>>
>> Format         Streaming Downloading
>> RealPlayer            46.9%         39.2%
>> Windows Media         22.9%         23.8%
>> MPEG                  10.7%         16.1%
>> AVI                    5.7%         10.4%
>> Quicktime              8.9%          7.4%
>> Other                 4.9%           3.7%
>>
>> No surprise given 93.4% of visitors are Windows users and only 2.6% use a
>> kernel called Linux (PDF page 26)
>>
>> It seems it'll be a long way until open formats are as widespread... :-(
>
> I don't know if is it really a good thing but it is true: You can play and
> create Ogg Theora on Windows and Mac OS. If these authorities like the BBC or
> the EU would just only provide Ogg Theora videos this format and codec would
> be known by much more people. Then someone shoots a new Paris Hilton video
> and encodes it exclusively in Ogg Theora and very soon most people will be
> able to play it.

That is a good thing. If open and patent-free formats become more
popular with proprietary software, that means they're more likely to be
available for everyone, which benefits users of free software. That's
why Richard Stallman approved the use of a non-copyleft licence for the
encoders for the Xiph.org codecs.