Re: [gNewSense-users] newbie question about upgrading gNewSense

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] newbie question about upgrading gNewSense
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 01:24:25 +1030

Dean Linkous wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: address@hidden

I am a newbie to the world of gNewSense and Ubuntu, so I will risk a rather
>primitive question here:

no risk, except you might get a answer :)

Should I upgrade from gNewSense 1.0 to gNewSense 1.1 and, if yes, how >exactly?
1.1 is a pretty minor upgrade IIRC so apt-get upgrade and/or apt-get
dist-upgrade should do it. If your install is up to date then I don't think .1
would be a large download. Try it  and see how much it says it will download
and then if it is too much then when it asks about continuing just hit N for no.

pretty minor is still something in the order of 100mb iirc (note i haven't checked this)
I suppose that I can get a friend to get me the gNewSense 1.1 iso and update >my
installation, but since I am new to Ubuntu -like upgrades, what will that >do to my
configuration, home directory, etc.?  Brian wrote that I can update, >but can I do this
without using my phone at all, only with the gNewSense  1.1 >CD?  Or will I have to
re-update another 100-200 MB of packages by dial-up >download?
Good question - does the CD have a upgrade option or is a reinstall necessary?
I assume you have to reinstall if you use the new CD, I could (likely) be wrong
though. But as stated earlier 1.1 upgrade should not be anywhere near 100mb of
packages but you can always try it and see and choose to abort if it is too
much. I would guess it is about 15megs...
I think the cd can be used for updates, but again, i haven't checked. the update *will* be more then 15mb, as firefox and openoffice.org are in there.

Karl Goetz
User of gNewSense: Free as in Freedom - http://www.gnewsense.org
Australian Ubuntu users team - http://wiki.ubuntu.com/AustralianTeam
Debian, The Universal Operating System - http://www.debian.org