Re: [gNewSense-users] newbie question about upgrading gNewSense

From: Andrew Wigglesworth
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] newbie question about upgrading gNewSense
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 14:05:52 +0000

On Thursday 25 January 2007 13:50, andrei raevsky wrote:
> Greetings friends,
>
> I am a newbie to the world of gNewSense and Ubuntu, so I will risk a rather
> primitive question here:
>
> Should I upgrade from gNewSense 1.0 to gNewSense 1.1 and, if yes, how
> exactly?
>
> This is what I mean:
>
> I have only a (bad) dial-up connection so downloading hundereds of megs of
> packages is not a good option for me.  I did it the first time to install
> the updates to gNewSense 1.0 and it took me TWO DAYS :-(
>
> I suppose that I can get a friend to get me the gNewSense 1.1 iso and
> update my installation, but since I am new to Ubuntu -like upgrades, what
> will that do to my configuration, home directory, etc.?  Brian wrote that I
> can update, but can I do this without using my phone at all, only with the
> gNewSense 1.1 CD?  Or will I have to re-update another 100-200 MB of
> packages by dial-up download?
>
> I am very happy with my current gNewSense 1.0 install (-: I even like the
> "dirty elephants" splashsreen :-) so I rather wait for, say, a version
> 2.1of gNewSense before updating, but will I be able to do so from
> 1.0 to, say, 2.1 *without* all the intermediate steps of the versions in
> between?
>
> >From the press release, the difference between 1.0 and 1.1 is not huge.
> > Can
>
> I wait or must I update version by version to keep things smooth?
>
> Sorry for the dumb-newbie basic question, but having only one 500MHz
> machine on dial-up makes one wary of doing something silly...
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Andrei

Hi,

The upgrade to gNewense 1.1 will happen when you do your normal "security"
updates.  Most of the changes are to do with at work, bug fixes and
gNewSenseing (heh!) KDE.  The biggest download was "Burning Dog" in
replacement for "Firefox".

--
Andrew

All new Yahoo! Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its simplicity and ease
of use." - PC Magazine
http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html