Re: [gNewSense-users] Ubuntu->gNS upgrade path

From: Dave Crossland
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Ubuntu->gNS upgrade path
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 10:22:13 +0000

On 22/01/07, Dave Crossland <address@hidden> wrote:
On 15/01/07, Brian Brazil <address@hidden> wrote:

> 1. Change sources.list

I'm not sure what that means - do you mean changing it to the
gNewSense sources.list? That's my best guess.

Okay, here is my working recipe:

I have a gNewSense computer connected to my LAN.

I obtain a laptop (IBM ThinkPad X31 with no CDROM drive) that is
running Windows.

I go to http://instlux.sf.net and download
instluxNETUbuntu6_06english.exe and run it and reboot, and install
Ubuntu as usual.

I login and open the Terminal and type two commands to transfer the
gNewSense apt repository data from the gNewSense machine to the
laptop, straight into the user's home directory:

$ scp address@hidden:/etc/apt/sources.list .
$ scp address@hidden:/etc/apt/*.gpg .

I then move the Ubuntu files out of the way:

$ sudo mv sources.list /etc/apt/
$ sudo mv *.gpg /etc/apt/

I then update the apt system, and upgrade the distribution from Ubuntu
to gNewSense:

$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

I then reboot the laptop.

Everything boots fine, new uSplash, although the GDM theme is still Ubuntu's.

I open the Terminal, and follow
http://www.gnewsense.org/Builder/RemovingUpdatedPackages but with a
sudo:

$ apt-get install apt-show-versions
$ apt-show-versions -a | fgrep -f <(apt-show-versions | fgrep 'newer
than version in archive' | cut -d' ' -f 1) | grep dapper$ | sed -e
's/\t/=/;s/\t.*$//' | xargs sudo apt-get install --yes --force-yes
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done

I then install the gnewsense artwork:

$ sudo apt-get install gnewsense-desktop gnewsense-artwork
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED
 ubuntu-artwork ubuntu-desktop
The following NEW packages will be installed
 gnewsense-artwork gnewsense-desktop
0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 2 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 4749kB of archives.
After unpacking 2769kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?
Get: 1 http://gb.archive.gnewsense.org deltad/main gnewsense-artwork
28gnewsense9 [4735kB]
Get: 2 http://gb.archive.gnewsense.org deltad/main gnewsense-desktop
0.119gnewsense4 [13.9kB]
Fetched 4749kB in 30s (155kB/s)
(Reading database ... 70517 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing ubuntu-desktop ...
Removing ubuntu-artwork ...
find: /usr/share/icons/Human: No such file or directory
Selecting previously deselected package gnewsense-artwork.
(Reading database ... 69297 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking gnewsense-artwork (from
.../gnewsense-artwork_28gnewsense9_all.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package gnewsense-desktop.
Unpacking gnewsense-desktop (from
.../gnewsense-desktop_0.119gnewsense4_i386.deb) ...
Setting up gnewsense-artwork (28gnewsense9) ...

Setting up gnewsense-desktop (0.119gnewsense4) ...
$

I then remove the remaining non-free software:

$ sudo apt-get remove --purge linux-restricted-* nvidia-kernel-common

And reboot, and everything is working as it should.

--
Regards,
Dave