[gNewSense-users] Cleaning vanilla kernel

From: jeff
Subject: [gNewSense-users] Cleaning vanilla kernel
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 23:24:51 -0300

I am interested in building a cleaned out kernel for the distro that does not exist. ;)

I've been going through the firmware-removed[1] list. Some strike me as a bit odd for being removed, but perhaps it is because gnewsense is using the upstream ubuntu kernel which may have more 0xFF in it than the vanilla kernel. In fact, a number of files listed in firmware-removed don't appear in the 2.6.19.2 kernel.

What I am wondering is if there is any patch that gnewsense applies to remove all of these bits. If there is, where is it? I went through the source trees in archive, but I could only find ubuntu kernel patches. Admittedly I'm not as familiar with how .deb builds it's packages so perhaps that patch is just sitting there.

In sum, how can I apply the gnewsense kernel patch to a vanilla kernel?

Thanks,

-Jeff

[1] http://svn.gnewsense.svnhopper.net/gnewsense/builder/trunk/firmware/firmware-removed