Re: [gNewSense-users] Promoting gNewSense to GNU/Linux newbies

From: rek2 GNU/Linux LO LO LO
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Promoting gNewSense to GNU/Linux newbies
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 13:58:24 -0500

Ringo Kamens wrote:
I am in the same situation as you. I used to be a huge ubuntu fan (and still suggest it for linux newbies) but I think ubuntu is not the solution. We need truly open software and I would love to help promote gnewsense but I don't feel it's ready yet. The main problem I see is incompatibility with hardware. Are there any legal hurdles to writing drivers or is it just time?
Ringo Kamens

Ringo, people to write drivers is always in need not for gnewsense but for the whole free software community. I will suggest joining a project for example the nvidia (noveau project ) or ati free drivers to help them.. at the same time you help gnewsense with this.
http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/

On 1/16/07, *Michael Fötsch* <address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:

    Hi all,

    On January 6, Brian Brazil wrote, in a thread titled "The name":

    > For some reason I doubt many newcomers will be using this distro
    > [gNewSense]

    I don't think it has to be this way. Up to now, I used to hand out
    Ubuntu CDs to anyone who asked me for an alternative to Windows (and
    sometimes even to those who didn't ask ;-). I wouldn't hesitate to do
    the same with gNewSense.

    But maybe I'd also tell them to go to ubuntu.com
    <http://ubuntu.com> for support, because
    gnewsense.org <http://gnewsense.org> is still in need of (at
    least) some polish. Just to give
    you an example, when gnewsense.org <http://gnewsense.org> was
    promoted as an alternative to
    Windows Vista at badvista.org <http://badvista.org>, someone
    commented saying (I'll
    paraphrase), "you call this an alternative to Windows? I visited
    the web
    site and it says I need 35GB disk space for gNewSense." (A
    misinterpretation of the Builder discussion, of course.)

    This shows that the web site is not accessible to (potential)
    GNU/Linux
    newbies yet, although gNewSense itself has real potential, being
    user-friendly and offering practical advantages, and at the same time
    having "plenty of freedom talk too" (as RMS said in an essay).

    And I'd like to contribute in order to change this.

    I'm thinking about having material to showcase gNewSense's
    capabilities
    (many people wrongly assume that it's as ugly as the web site; my
    apologies to the designer of the site! :-); to rebut GNU/Linux
    myths; to
    offer help with switching from Windows or the Mac; to provide
    pointers
    to the free software philosophy; etc.

    But before I start writing material, I'd like to hear your opinions:
    * Do you think the time would be well spent?
    * How should we go about this, technically?
    * Who'd like to help me?
    * Any opinions welcome

    Kind Regards,
    M.F.