Re: [gNewSense-users] My two cents on web forums: don't like 'em.

From: J.B. Nicholson-Owens
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] My two cents on web forums: don't like 'em.
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 19:57:36 -0600

Max Moritz Sievers wrote:
You already know (or still remember) Usenet?

Absolutely. I wrote a number of programs to process news articles and add-ons for slrn, a newsreader. A gNewSense GNU/Linux netnews group would be fine if it could be made to integrate well with the extant mailing list (bidirectional posting). This isn't easy to do well, but it can be done and I've seen it done before.

However, Usenet poses a practical problem: publicly-available news servers are scarce and ISPs no longer commonly host news services themselves or outsource the job. It will be increasingly harder to connect to Usenet.

Compare that to email which is ubiquitous and inexpensive.

For me it's a miracle that those bloated
> web forums replaced this brilliant system.

I think the graphics, sounds, and animations were the chief reason. People interested in information rather than useless glitzy displays will probably prefer Usenet and mailing lists.

> With the feeds (RSS and Atom) they turned some what back.

Yes, somewhat. I am not a fan of polling (although many newsreaders will allow users to do this), and feeds still lack some of the features I mentioned earlier, but feeds are better than arbitrary websites with non-uniform means of accessing valued information.