Re: [gNewSense-users] Promoting gNewSense to GNU/Linux newbies

From: Max Moritz Sievers
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Promoting gNewSense to GNU/Linux newbies
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 20:17:04 +0100

Ringo Kamens wrote:
> We need truly open software

Ahh, this is a new term! I already herad people calling free software open
source, but open software is new to me. But Wikipedia poited me to the Open
Software Foundation which deals with Unix. So this term is associated with
proprietary software.

> The main problem I see is incompatibility with hardware.

I think free software runs on most relevant desktop hardware. Laptops almost
alway have a wirleless LAN card or stick which is hardly supported. And there
is a lack of 3D Acceleration. But guess for which application the users
demand it. People who have no problem playing a proprietary computer games
also don't hesitate to install a proprietary driver.

> Are there any legal hurdles to writing drivers or is it just time?

Reverse engineering requires a lot of time. That's for sure. And as you can
see in the DeCSS case they even try to prohibit it.

--
Regards,
Max Moritz Sievers