Re: [gNewSense-users] Why not make a version of Debian GNU/Linux

From: Yoni Rabkin Katzenell
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Why not make a version of Debian GNU/Linux
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 15:51:23 +0200

Max Moritz Sievers <address@hidden> writes:

> I don't see what's the effort here.  If it were not the non-free firmware in
> Linux I guess I could do it myself in a few hours or at least a few days
> (becuase I never build a distribution before). I am suggesting to use Debian
> GNU/Linux and just deliver only main. If there weren't the issues with Linux
> this way we would have everything we want (in this matter). They already have
> CD/DVD, (inofficial LiveCD/DVD), USB memory stick, boot up install, automated
> install. We also didn't have to set up our own mirror.
>
> Becuase of the non-free firmware in Linux we would have to build every
> install
> image ourselves. So maybe we wouldn't substitute everything at first. But I
> guess we could get Debian developers to help us if we would make gNewSense
> (or a new name) more a version of Debian GNU/Linux than a derived
> distribution.

I think I'll chime in here and try to get the message across as I
understand it:

The details don't matter. It does not matter if we are using
whateverFox, Ubuntu/Debian/Gentoo or any of that.

The main problem is, and always will be *actually doing
it*.

Suggestions, ideas and arguments have been going on for years and will
never stop. The only thing that actually matters is producing a Free
operating system for real, now, here, where people can use it. So the
only way I see of making a point in this argument is to produce a
real product, or to fix the product we have.

We all have the correct ideas in our heads, but arguing over the type of
distro as opposed to actually getting it out there is like arguing as to
the type of bread to give hungry people instead of feeding them now with
what you have at hand.