Re: [gNewSense-users] Why not make a version of Debian GNU/Linux

From: Paul O'Malley
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Why not make a version of Debian GNU/Linux
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 20:53:52 +0000

Max Moritz Sievers wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wonder myself why gNewSense isn't directly derived from Debian GNU/Linux. I
> don't see an advantage using Ubuntu Linux as the base. But there would be
> advantages if gNewSense was a version of Debian GNU/Linux with only main and
> the Firmware removed from Linux:
> - not derived from a »Linux«
I don't understand, my take on it is that all are derived from kernel.org.
> - does not ship Firefox
Being worked on here.
> - much more install options (e.g. USB memory stick)
Each version would cost us a lot of effort for time we have not got or
won't expend as we have other things going on.
> - much more supported platforms
See last comment.

> I haven't performed an install of Ubuntu Linux yet but I have heard it were
> more »user friendly« because of its improved hardware support and its nicer
> graphics. As gNewSense has less hardware supported because of the removed
> firmware the first argument doesn't fly. The second either as with etch
> Debian GNU/Linux will have also a »graphical« installer.

It was actually none of the above, we started where we started _because_
Mark Shuttleworth and Richard Stallman went to Tunis, and spoke of
something called gnubuntu - but neither of them meant the same thing.
This mailing list and gNewSense itself were some of the results of the
inspiration we got from that.

I say some when I refer to results, there are others like a lot of hours
getting very familiar with a particular kernel, it has been fun.

Could anyone do it? If they had the time and energy and disk space they
could hack builder.

Regards,
Paul