Re: [gNewSense-users] The name

From: Brian Brazil
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] The name
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2007 19:01:37 +0000

On 1/6/07, Guy Johnston <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi, I was just wondering where the name gNewSense actually comes from. I
assume it has the 'gnu' sound (at least for some accents - others, such
as us in the UK say 'nyu' instead of 'nu' for 'new') because it's a

Pronounciation is debatable, as long as you have a g sound in there
somewhere I'm happy.

GNU/Linux distribution, specifically following the ideals of the GNU
project. I also assume it has something to do with the word 'nuisance'
as it sounds like that, and I've read that it used to be known as

Yip. Have you ever looked at rms' gpg key?

'Gnuisance'. But I think it's a bit of an awkward name, and might put
off newcomers to GNU/Linux, particularly with the small case 'g' and

For some reason I doubt many newcomers will be using this distro, I
don't think its really an issue.

capitals in the middle. Why was that name chosen instead of 'Gnuisance'?

More puns.

PS. Does anyone know if there's any plans by anyone to make a variation
with KDE installed by default, in a similar way to Kubuntu. And if there
is, is it called something like KNewsense?

gNewSense-KDE, although some of the internals will be kgnewsense.

Brian