[gNewSense-users] graphics resolution

From: Bill McConnaughey
Subject: [gNewSense-users] graphics resolution
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 18:40:14 -0600 (CST)

In my first successful gnusense-1.0 installation the screen was in
high-resolution mode during installation, and (I'm pretty sure) the Gnome
screen was high-rez when I booted the finished disk.  The second time
around (on a different hard drive), the installation screen and Gnome
screen were 640x480 and no other choice was offered under
System--Preferences--Screen Resolution.  And now when I boot the first
hard drive I can only get 640x480.  This remains true after shutting down
and connecting the Windows disk and booting that (it gets its normal
high-rez screen).  Any ideas on what got changed?

On the root login issue, I found that the password that I gave for the
user account does work with the sudo command, but does not work to log in
a root session.  However, I did "sudo passwd root" from my user login,
changed the root password, and now can log in as root.
This is all somewhat confusing, and it might be a good idea to make sure
sysadmins know that the user account that is set up at installation can
give root access.