Re: [gNewSense-users] can't get root

From: Tim Retout
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] can't get root
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2007 21:41:47 +0000

On Thu, 2007-01-04 at 15:17 -0600, Bill McConnaughey wrote:
> I installed gNewSense 1.0 without apparent problems.  But I can't log in
> as root.  Should I have given "root" when it asked for a user name during
> the installation?

It probably wasn't a good idea. Perhaps the installer should check that
the user doesn't choose usernames that match system accounts. (Does it
not do this already?)

> What can I do about it now?

If you don't want to reinstall, you could use the installation CD as a
LiveCD, mount the relevant partitions, chroot in, and add a user. Do you
know how to do this? It will be something like:

sudo mount /dev/hda1 /mnt
sudo chroot /mnt
sudo adduser bill
<enter password and other information as required>
exit

> I did the installation on one system and then tried to connect the hard
> disk to an older machine.  I got Grub error 18 (selected cylinder exceeds
> the maximum supported by bios).  Is it possible to do an installation on
> that machine?

Perhaps, using a smaller HDD...

> On my first attempt to install, on a 2.1 GB disk, it got 75% of the way
> there and **then** said the disk is full.

...or not.

> How about putting a little file about minimum system requirements in
> your download directory?  Also, the first CD that I burned would get
> half-way through installation and then hang.  It turned out there was
> a bad sector.  A diagnostic would have been nice.

These are both good ideas. I suspect we could get a few bug reports
filed on the installer out of this - you've not had a good time. ;)

--
Tim Retout <address@hidden>

Join the FSF as an Associate Member at:
<URL:http://www.fsf.org/register_form?referrer=3298>