[gNewSense-users] Re: gNewSense-users Digest, Vol 3, Issue 27

From: Brian Kemp
Subject: [gNewSense-users] Re: gNewSense-users Digest, Vol 3, Issue 27
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 12:18:55 -0500

The only problem is it doesn't recognize the Linksys Wireless wusb54gc USB
adapter.
check your card is supported first up.
iirc there is a list on the FSF website of supported hardware.

Here's the list:

http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/hardware.html

I have one, from before I switched. I'm sorry to inform you that it's
not supported, as it has a Broadcom chipset.  I've plugged it in on
Ubuntu Dapper and it wasn't really even fully detected, and I would
venture that it'd work upstream long before it'd work here.

IIRC the only wireless adapter with a Broadcom chipset that's
supported (without some sort of binary blob) is the Apple Airport.
(Correct me if I'm wrong here--I've stayed far, far away from wireless
network as I'm lucky enough to have a S/O who understands that Real
Men & Women use cable.)[0]

If there is some sort of binary firmware available to make this device
run, please note that gNewSense will not package it--you would have to
get it yourself.

You may also have luck with ndiswrapper as well.

HTH, HAND.
--BK

[0] No offense intended if you don't/can't run cables. ;)