Re: [gNewSense-users] wireless config

From: Robert Vogel
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] wireless config
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 21:53:53 -0500

Thanks for your reply.

Ok. So I went back to Radio Shack with the wusb54gc device which linksys customer support says is only for windows 2000 and XP (she is in the Philipines she said.) and instead the nice man traded me for a wusb54g... the correct one according to the list.

Now the wireless line appears in the Network Settings box...but I cannot activate it. Iwconfig lists the frequency correctly. Interface properties box comes up when I press Properties on Network Settings and I check the box with "enable this connection". I fill in the Network name (ESSID) which at some point appeared automatically (its not getting it now). ...yes it is. The Key type is Plain ASCII...but I don't have a WEP key. (Do I really need one ? I don't care if anyone drives by and uses it.)

If I change the dropdown under 'Connection settings' from "static IP address" to DHCP I get the OK button undimmed. I didn't try providing an IP address because I thought it might pick up what it needs to know from the wireless connection itself. This stuff is best done automagically. Don't you think ?

iwconfig now has the ESSID mode: Managed Frequency=2.4 GHz Access Point looks good
Bit Rate = 11 Mb/s RTS thr:off
Link Quality=0/70  ...

So it is seeing wireless. iwlist tells me there are 14 channels at 2.4.. GHz.

Network Proxy Preferences box is set to Direct Internet Connection.

I Press OK on the Interface properties.....a progress bar appears "Activating interface 'rausb0'" and it locks up tight. No Mouse. No Keyboard. Progress bar stopped cold.

I have to hit the power off.

- - - - -

Any thoughts on this ?

I haven't put any modules in for the Kernel...could that have anything to do with it ?

----- Original Message ----- From: "MJ Ray" <address@hidden>