[gNewSense-users] root password sudo

From: Paul O'Malley
Subject: [gNewSense-users] root password sudo
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 08:36:44 +0000

Hi All,

This mail was inspired by Dave Grundgeiger, I changed the subject line
to allow people find it easy in the archives (I hope ;-)).

Similar to the situation to upstream we don't have a root password set.
If you require to do something as root then this is the suggested method.

sudo -i

The password demanded is the first users.

The first user has "administration rights". All accesses to sudo are logged.

If you require subsequent users to have admin rights then this can be
set upon their being set up. There is an option in the creation of users
 to allow you give them admin rights.

Some people set root passwords and want to go back to no password for
root after.
To do this do:

sudo passwd -l root

This restores normal operations.
A strong password is suggested for all users.

Sudo stays available in a shell for 15 minutes. This default behaviour
can be changed down or up.
If you require to use it in a graphical environment then you should put

In GNOME use:     gksudo

In KDE use:       kdesu

If you don't you can get a problem with logging in.
Your error message will say it is a problem with ICEauthority or Xauthority.
To solve this issue in a console (CTRL ALT F1):
rm /home/$user/.{ICE,X}authority

Regards,

Paul O'Malley