Re: [gNewSense-users] What is the firefox problem?

From: Anthony Patarini
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] What is the firefox problem?
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 13:50:31 -0900

"BTW, ianal = ?"

I Am Not A Lawyer. A common disclaimer used to indicate that a person's comments should not be taken as legal advice.

As for the Firefox issue, the problem from what I recall is that the Mozilla Foundation has a problem with "unofficial" versions of Firefox using the name Firefox. (The same is true of Thunderbird and probably their other products.) This comes into play when Debian (and other organizations) patch Firefox to make it work better with their specific system setup, and when Debian (or again others) roll out updates to Firefox before (or that are different from the ones) Mozilla puts out. For Debian, this is a problem because having to wait for a specific vendor to approve of an update (for example, a security update) before a patch can be distributed falls afoul of their view of Free Software. So, all Debian IceWeasel is at the moment (last I heard) is just Firefox with Mozilla trademarked material ripped out. GNU IceWeasel, on the other hand, is a modified Firefox that, like Debian's, doesn't contain Mozilla trademarked material, but also does not point to nonfree components like Firefox does and has a few privacy enhancements. See the respective websites for more details. They can be found via google.