Re: [gNewSense-users] Installation problems

From: Vidyadhar Gadgil
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Installation problems
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 19:16:33 +0530

On Mon, 2006-12-11 at 21:15 -0800, Dennis Kibbe wrote:

> Have been trying to install gnewsense 1.0, but it reaches the 'disk
> partitioning' step (5 of 6) and refuses to move on. Maybe it's because
> of RAM, but I have 256 MB, shouldn't that be enough? What could be the
> problem, and is there any solution?
>
> <SNIP>
>
> Tell us a little about your hardware - CPU?, video, HDDs (RAID perhaps??),
> desktop? or laptop?  Without knowing what you are installing onto we can't
> help.

Dear Dennis,

Sorry, didn't think of that. It's a desktop, Celeron 1.7M, two HDDs (40
GB and 80GB), monitor Samsung 45Bn. My disks are already partitioned and
I have Fedora Core 5 (which is my regular OS), Mandriva 2006 and Windows
98 (okay, okay, I know, but I do need it sometimes -- I have to earn a
living after all and need some Windows programmes), which I use only
very occasionally. I am quite proficient at installation, and have
installed many distros. over time to try them out. At Step 5 of
gnewsense installation, I always check the "Partition disks manually" --
either of the other options would create havoc on my already nicely
partitioned disks. That's the point from where the thing refuses to move
forward.

Thanks for the help.

--
Question everything -- Karl Marx