Re: [gNewSense-users] More on the mp3 issue

From: Anthony Patarini
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] More on the mp3 issue
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 14:10:59 -0900

"How long for mp3 to end the patent? I mean is like 10 years? if so it should be near.. "

2010 in the USA.

"in my personal opinion, as long there is Ogg, I can care less about mp3, if someone gives me a mp3 and my system can't play it, I just convert it to Ogg format, this brings me with one idea, whatever we do I will support but if we decide to not include mp3 support, then we should make a script were that users can use to convert to Ogg all their media."

In order to do that, we would have to first decode the MP3 and encode the output as Ogg Vorbis. For this process to work, we need an MP3 decoder. However, we can't legally ship one in some parts of the world, due to the patent problems we're talking about right now. So, long story short, this idea really solves nothing. If you can convert a file to Ogg, you could just as well play the file directly. Also, a simple MP3 to Ogg converter already exists in "Universe" by the name of "mp32ogg". You cannot legally use that program in countries that acknowledge software idea patents.