Re: [gNewSense-users] More on the mp3 issue

From: J.B. Nicholson-Owens
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] More on the mp3 issue
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 13:30:22 -0600

Brian Kemp wrote:
Well, I've done a little digging, and I found this gem from the wikipedia article on MP3:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MP3

Regardless of what the patent policy is today, it could change.

The USPTO issued at least two patents on ideas covering the LZW compression algorithm (commonly used in making GIF files), one to IBM and another to Unisys (this is its own problem with software patents). In 1995, Unisys said:

Unisys does not require licensing, or fees to be paid, for
non-commercial, non-profit GIF-based applications, including those
for use on the on-line services.

Concerning developers of software for the Internet network, the same
principle applies. Unisys will not pursue previous inadvertent
infringement by developers producing versions of software products
for the Internet prior to 1995. The company does not require
licensing, or fees to be paid for non-commercial, non-profit
offerings on the Internet, including "Freeware".