Re: [gNewSense-users] Welcome Damian

From: Daniel Taylor
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Welcome Damian
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2006 14:58:38 +0000

Andrew Wigglesworth wrote:
On Saturday 09 December 2006 14:18, Markus Laire wrote:
On 12/9/06, Andrew Wigglesworth <address@hidden> wrote:
The command line programme mp32ogg I think is the quickest and easiest
way to convert from mp3 to ogg, and it's Free Software.
Even if it's "Free Software", it could be illegal "Free Software".
IIRC this is exactly why Ubuntu doesn't include any mp3-programs.

Ahem, yes it does.  Including mp32ogg , it's in the gNewSense repositories.

I think you will find that that is just a script that calls 'mpg123'.

We don't have mpg123 but was do have mpg321 which calls it self "a fully free clone of mpg123" but it uses the MAD libary (libmad0). which we do have: http://archive.gnewsense.org/gnewsense/pool/main/libm/libmad/ and it's free (gpl) but its still patented, so +1 vote for getting rid of it. as its non-free.

Unless we want to take that stance of ignoring patents and other laws, if that's the case +1 for including libdvdcss. ;)

- daniel