Re: [gNewSense-users] Freedom verification (checking packages)

From: Daniel Taylor
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Freedom verification (checking packages)
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 15:09:08 +0000

Karl Goetz wrote:
Andrew Wigglesworth wrote:
Hi everyone,

We've had a lot of interesting conversation about the freedom of gNewSense. General stuff around the need for freedom and that not everything may be free in gNewSense.

The possibility of non-free packages in gNewSense is bug number 1 in the bug tracker:

http://bugs.gnewsense.org/Bugs/00001

There are some people who have started trying to get organised. Perhaps if they ping you you can get organised together.
kk

I've started this process my self, but only got through about 20 packages in main before my head began to hurt. I think the best idea would be to split it up into groups (ie. you take the A's and I take the B's).

Just from the 20 or so I've done already I've found that things are generally not as clear cut as "this is gpl'ed", for example the 'ark' package contains files that are under Artistic/BSD/GPL/FDL licences.

- Daniel