Re: [gNewSense-users] why not do more?

From: Bake Timmon
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] why not do more?
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 15:07:30 -0500

rek2 GNU/Linux LO LO LO <address@hidden> writes:

> my idea is that basically instead of  suck on Ubuntu, to step by step
> become independent of them and more important
> focus our attention to create, push for developers to reverse engineer
> non-free drivers that other distros/developers are not really
> taking the time for it cause is easier to just install the non-free one.
> This will not only make our distro a free version of ubuntu but a very
> important project all together for Free Software and development of
> this,
> and can be taking as a flag by many users and free software
> advocates. just and idea.

Your suggestion of becoming "independent" of Ubuntu gives me the
following thoughts.

It see two concerns in what you say: marketing and software
development.  The important thing is that we are having fun and feel
that we are making the biggest difference we can with our concerns.

Doing a free driver is more of a development thing.  Yes, it is
somewhat marketing because it is from gns.  From a marketing
perspective, however, the free driver may not *distinguish* gns as
much as you might hope because the driver is, after all, free
software, and therefore is immediately eligible to be in *any
distribution*.  Ubuntu or Red Hat people using the driver may not know
or care at all about gns.  Clearly, the driver is a *great thing* and
worth doing, but one must acknowledge that it serves two concerns
differently.  IMO, free software development does not generally bring
"independence" to mind, more "cooperation".

OTOH, artwork can be considered marketing, to build the gns "brand".
This would *directly* make gns "independent" from Ubuntu.  Do not
underestimate the power of marketing--look at the *perception* of
Ubuntu versus "just" Debian.

I am sorry if I misunderstood you or am beating a dead horse, but it's
good to realize that the two concerns (among others) are both
important and are achieved differently depending on the task that you
take on.

Thanks,
Bake