Re: [gNewSense-users] [Artwork] Is Creative Commons Attribution Share-Al

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] [Artwork] Is Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike license acceptable for Official gNewSense Artwork?
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 10:37:37 +0000

"Dave Crossland" <address@hidden> wrote:
> More importantly, CC3 will be FDL compatible, I hear

JOOI, where did you hear that?  I can't see how BY-SA could be made
compatible without losing the Share-Alike effect, because FDL permits
incorporation of uneditable material (Invariant Sections and others).

[ Karl Goetz wrote: ]
> > Please don't use it for software or documentation,
>
> Or is it software?

Please use the GPL if you want to use a share-alike licence for artwork
stored as software - that is, artwork as image files like jpegs, or as
theme files.

Creative Commons has three main problems:
1. most of its variations are wordy and ambiguous;
2. it carves up the commons into several incompatible areas;
3. you cannot promote any of them without promoting the NC and ND
variations, which are obviously incompatible with free software - I
think RMS has commented on this in interviews in the recent past.

> [...] While I'm not that fussed
> about what Debian thinks, since they include non-free software in
> main, it is a consideration IMO.

Non-free software in main is a bug for Debian, just as it is for
gNewSense.  The project's failure to deal with this problem in a timely
manner should not discount all of the analysis of the problem.  Unlike
FSF, the debian project has published nearly all analysis, making a
substantial body of public knowledge.  Build on that work, so we can be
happy it has helped to make another free software OS.

Hope that helps,
Somerset, England. Work/Laborejo: http://www.ttllp.co.uk/
IRC/Jabber/SIP: on request/peteble