Re: [gNewSense-users] [artwork] GTK engines!

From: Brad Pitcher
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] [artwork] GTK engines!
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2006 22:24:32 -0800

On 11/12/06, Brian Brazil <address@hidden> wrote:
On 11/12/06, Dave Crossland <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 12/11/06, Brian Brazil <address@hidden> wrote:
> > > >

> > > Now, if I thought you were being serious.......
> >
> > It'd be XCFE if anything, but I've yet to see anyone wanting a Xubuntu
> > replacement.
>
> Surely gNewSense users can just "sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop"
> if they want this?

Yes, but as with KDE this isn't supported as someone hasn't gone
through it to make sure it's fully free. Should be trivial for xubuntu
though.

What does this involve?  I started going through the packages in the xubuntu-desktop meta package and it seem that some packages are under a "gpl license with exceptions".  For example, cdrecord and cupsys:
http://changelogs.ubuntu.com/changelogs/pool/main/c/cdrtools/cdrtools_2.01+01a01-4ubuntu6/cdrecord.copyright
http://changelogs.ubuntu.com/changelogs/pool/main/c/cupsys/cupsys_1.2.0-0ubuntu5/cupsys.copyright

Are there any guidelines we can use to help decide whether the software still falls under the free software umbrella even with the exceptions to the license.  Maybe someone can put something on the wiki?

-Brad