Re: [gNewSense-users] Stop. Artwork Time!

From: Michael Kaye
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Stop. Artwork Time!
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 16:43:14 +0000

On 09/11/06, Dave Crossland <address@hidden> wrote:
On 09/11/06, Michael Kaye <address@hidden> wrote:
> I think the login screen, with the elephants, is outstanding. I think
> it may be an idea to follow the 'nature' feel, with the same sort of
> colours, and colour-saturation. This may be effective because of the
> current focus on 'green' issues, and could emphasise the 'friendly'
> aspect of gNewSense and that it is for the greater good.

My intuitive understanding of gNewSense is that it is
Ubuntu-without-compromising-on-freedom. That is, it will have the same
focus on novice users as Ubuntu, but a real effort to educate them
about why valuing freedom is important.

The two words that sum up the reasons free software is important to be
100% with are: Ethics and Sustainability.

I think these are flush with an Africa (subsaharan?) theme.

The 'Sustainability' angle can certainly leverage its 'green'
ecosustainablity heritage.

There are a couple of green Murrine already:

http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/4255/schermataxe2.jpg
http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/2165/430731qh9.png

They look good. I think they would go especially well with a good
nature wallpaper. The colour green gives a nice fresh feel, too.

The ethics thing I think is a good focus.

Michael.
--
Cutting Free (http://cuttingfree.blogsome.com) - Free Software at the
cutting edge