Re: [gNewSense-users] CD writing support

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] CD writing support
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2006 00:30:24 +1030

Markus Laire wrote:
Hello,
After learning about gNewSense I was pleased to learn that you have
removed all the problematic firmware from the Linux Kernel.
cool eh? :)

Still, there is another serious problem - CD writing - which I'd like
to discuss.

CD writing in gNewSense seems to be handled by cdrecord, but IMHO it
should be removed from the project ASAP because you don't have a valid
license to distribute it. (In fact, most likely nobody has.)
[Trim lots of relevant stuff]
The gns 1.0 code base is ubuntu dapper, so there are several things that are 'imperfect'[1]. i believe that gns will follow distros like Fedora (its released, but there will be updates to software, in this case increases in freedom). I suppose this means that these things will be fixed, as soon as brian/the devs are happy the changes are sustainable.

[1] mplayer is now in debian, but not gns, cdrecord and firefox are in gns, but are questionable.

Karl Goetz
The buck stops there -> $
Australian Ubuntu users team - http://wiki.ubuntu.com/AustralianTeam