Re: [gNewSense-users] firefox?

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] firefox?
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2006 13:19:00 +1030

Vim Visual wrote:
the name itself is also copyrighted: "firefox"

I would go for iceweasel immediately. Firefox is by far the best
browser anyway; the only thing you have to do is to take away the
non-free things of it. If you do it an figure out yet a new name and
logo, you're going to confuse the community.

This is a new distribution - we have other things to worry about then confusing users. gns isn't the sort of thing you 'accidently' install (whoops, i thought it was a RHEL cd...).

Iceweasel will be per default in future realses of debian anyway and
since gNewSense is debian-based I would not doubt even a second.

Debian will be using firefox re branded for etch, after that they will worry about whether to go the full GNU plunge on that issue.

You've got the extensions, which are -at least for me- the reason to
use firefox.

yes, extensions are cool. but are they cool enough to have to support a stack of packages on our own, or 'stabalise' packages taken from sid?

When I learnt the mozilla CORPORATION issue I spent some days trying
this and that browser (epiphany, galeon, konqueror etc) and I must say
they are far away from firefox (sorry, iceweasel)

its a while since i shipped around for a browser (lynx+ff has suited me to date). might be a fun thing.

Let's not confuse the community and go for iceweasel (and the logo I
posted in the first email of this thread is nice :) )

"People with weak arguments build straw men like "won't anyone please
think of the children^Wusers?" far too often.  Please don't do it."

 - MJ Ray, "Re: [gNewSense-users] some ideas (about opening files)"

Cheers,

your FSF-member friend Pau

Karl Goetz
The buck stops there -> $