Re: [gNewSense-users] some ideas (about opening files)

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] some ideas (about opening files)
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2006 09:12:32 +0000

I read with interest sensible reasons not to list non-free software. I
think that is a situation that free software can never win, because two
software packages are almost never identical.  That does not always mean
that one is better than the other - they may just do things in different
ways and it may frustrate users who knew the legacy proprietary package
when they have to relearn.

Would it be acceptable to list common file extensions or MIME types and
list the applications which can open them?

Could this be shared with mailcap-like files?  (Do gnome and kde still
use them?  GNUstep has NSMIMETypes.)

Hope that helps,
Somerset, England. Work/Laborejo: http://www.ttllp.co.uk/
IRC/Jabber/SIP: on request/peteble