Re: [gNewSense-users] freeness sanity check

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] freeness sanity check
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2006 16:00:42 +1030

Francesco Tapparo wrote:
first let me give you a warm hi from Italy.

gday

 My name's Francesco and I've
installed gnewsense just yesterday. I'm not a good coder and I've only some experience as debian maintainer years ago, but I'd like to help. I've read in the website that doing a freeness sanity check for the packages in the distribution could be useful.

It would certainly be good to know.

If this is true I'd be
available to start checking the source. A possibility is to check the debian bug tracking system for bugs related to DFSG guidelines: it would not give us guarantee that we discovered all the possible freeness violations but it would be faster than scanning all the packages.

A good start!. i'v seen numerous arguments on debian lists about suspected non-free files in packages.

could write a wiki page or even a simple text list with the packages where an effective DFSG violation exists and notify the list about them so that we can decide what to do.

A wiki page would be good, as long as it had a good structure to it. there's a lot of packages, so I'm not sure how easy it would be to make such a page... if you have any thoughts I'd be interested in hearing :)

What do you think about it?

Its great someone has the go to make it start happening.

Francesco

I've been eyeing this off as a way of contributing, so i'll lend a hand where needed.

--
Karl Goetz
The buck stops there -> $