[gNewSense-users] Firmware - out of the kernel but still in the hardware

From: Dennis Kibbe
Subject: [gNewSense-users] Firmware - out of the kernel but still in the hardware?
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2006 20:57:26 -0700

gNewSense takes the firmware out of the kernel but what about the
hardware?

For example, the Intel 2200 chipset doesn't work with gNewSense because
of firmware blobs missing from /lib/firmware.  The Netgear MA-401 PCMCIA
card does work, but isn't that just because the firmware is in the
chipset in the card instead of in the kernel?

If that's the case then the end result is the same, isn't it?

Of course we need to start somewhere and gNewSense is a great project
that I will use on all my computers and support it within our group.

Dennis Kibbe

--
Phoenix Linux Users Group
"Penguins in the desert"