Re: [gNewSense-users] Questions from a SUSE refugee on Dapper

From: Andrew Wigglesworth
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Questions from a SUSE refugee on Dapper
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 02:01:25 +0000

On Monday 06 November 2006 01:34, Karl Goetz wrote:
> Andrew Wigglesworth wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> hi :)
>
> > I'm a SUSE refugee (for reasons that should be obvious) and yesterday
> > installed Kubuntu Dapper after failing with Debian due to it not picking
> > up my hard drives.
> >
> > Then I noticed the gNewSense link at gnu.org.  Wow, I'm very, very
> > interested in gNewSense and I've downloaded the ISO, but I have some
> > questions.
> >
> > I am a KDE user and since gNewSense is based upon Ubuntu, does it still
> > incorporate the kubuntu-desktop (or similar) settings so I can install my
> > favourite desktop?
>
> Default install is gnome, but KDE is available. (probably still ubuntu
> branded though at this stage...)
>
> > I noticed this in Karl Goetz's email yesterday.
> >
> :)
> :
> > "DeltaD (gNS 1.0) is binary compatible with Dapper (6.06). This wont
> > necessarily continue."
> >
> > Does this mean that there's a possibility of doing a dist-upgrade between
> > Dapper and gNewSense?  I'm not asking for a guarantee that it would work,
> > just a sense that it may be possible.
>
> it might work, but you will be left with bits of ubuntu lying around
> afterwards that may or may not be helpfull.
>
> > I may just give it a try anyway, what are the repository settings for
> > sources.list ?
>
> deb http://archive.gnewsense.org/gnewsense deltad main universe
> (with -updates and -security iirc)
>
> > Lastly, is there a get involved or how to help section planned in the
> > Wiki?
>
> i plan for one, not sure if others do... feel free to help out ;)
>
> > That's all for now, this looks like a great project,
>
> good luck :)
> kk
>
> > Andrew :-)

Thanks for the reply, i should have replied to my own email though since I've
now installed gNewSense and got KDE running.

The dist-upgrade idea didn't work, it just changed the kernel, a couple of
libraries and removed, rather oddly, spamassassin.  I hadn't expected much,
so no disapointment here.

The changed kernel, though, brought up the real problem, a kernel panic.  This
was repeated when I tried the live disk.

Eventually, removing the modem card and the wireless card solved the problem.
The wireless card has a prism chipset (54?) which I could never run anyway
(non-free drivers), I don't  know much about the modem as I've never used it
either.  I also don't know which one actually caused the problem, I'l put one
of them back in tomorrow and see what happens.

After sorting that out the installation went pretty smoothly and I installed
the kubuntu-desktop package.  It was a little ironic to get the dapper
desktop exactly how I had left it after all that mucking around ;-)

I've been talking on the irc channel and I'm going to look into helping to
fettle up KDE for gNewSense.  I've virtually no experience of real coding or
distro building (just some PHP and web stuff), but I'm willing to learn so I
can make my little contribution.

Andrew.

All New Yahoo! Mail – Tired of address@hidden@! come-ons? Let our SpamGuard
protect you. http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html