[gNewSense-users] Questions from a SUSE refugee on Dapper

From: Andrew Wigglesworth
Subject: [gNewSense-users] Questions from a SUSE refugee on Dapper
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2006 18:15:09 +0000

Hi,

I'm a SUSE refugee (for reasons that should be obvious) and yesterday
installed Kubuntu Dapper after failing with Debian due to it not picking up
my hard drives.

Then I noticed the gNewSense link at gnu.org.  Wow, I'm very, very interested
in gNewSense and I've downloaded the ISO, but I have some questions.

I am a KDE user and since gNewSense is based upon Ubuntu, does it still
incorporate the kubuntu-desktop (or similar) settings so I can install my
favourite desktop?

I noticed this in Karl Goetz's email yesterday.

"DeltaD (gNS 1.0) is binary compatible with Dapper (6.06). This wont
necessarily continue."

Does this mean that there's a possibility of doing a dist-upgrade between
Dapper and gNewSense?  I'm not asking for a guarantee that it would work,
just a sense that it may be possible.

I may just give it a try anyway, what are the repository settings for
sources.list ?

Lastly, is there a get involved or how to help section planned in the Wiki?

That's all for now, this looks like a great project,

Andrew :-)