Re: [gNewSense-users] some ideas

From: Dave Crossland
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] some ideas
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2006 15:55:30 +0000

On 05/11/06, Xavier Maillard <address@hidden> wrote:

I like this but really, why do we want to "promote" (even
indirectly) non-free software by listing them ?

This is a good point, and I think Mariot got the phrasing better than me:

Mariot wrote:

> You want to read Flash animations ? help the gnash project
> You have to have 3D acceleration ? help the nouveau project

I see this as a
source of temptation for the end-user where we only want to
advocate 100% free software.

Perhaps even phrased as above, such writing does this. But I feel this
has to been seen in context of *every* *single* *other* major
distribution that includes non-free software *but* *says* *it* *only*
*uses* *free* *software*. Those are the real temptations, and
gNewSense can define itself in contrast to those distributions by
providing the real, ethical and sustainable answer to questions over
proprietary browser plugins and kernel modules.

--
Regards,
Dave